Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It Is Spring, Right? Trying to Create a Garden Despite the Elements

The one time I planted my flowers before July, the weather people in the Puget Sound Area is predicting snow/rain mix and thunder showers. I realize I planted too early, but wanted to get a head start in my garden during spring break from school. At least I only planted one small area and a few flower pots that I can bring in if it gets too cold.

Another reason I planted early; I wrote a research paper on creating my own organic garden. As an amateur gardener I found some very useful information, such as integrating certain flowers among the vegetables and berries to attract beneficial insects and repel and confuse unwanted insects. I began small and planted strawberries in a pot and integrated marigolds and allysum among the berries. I also planted geraniums and marigold along side my bare root roses to attract lady bugs in order to eat the aphids. When new information is discovered it is difficult to wait to utilize the new plan. The past two weeks I have been working and planning out what I would like my yard to look like and produce this summer.


Strawberry Planter with Marigolds


Bare Root Roses with Geraniums

I am still planning creating a sacred space in my garden for prayer and meditation. The space is almost cleared of weeds, but the juniper bush still needs to be removed and I am searching for solar fountains and religious symbols to implement amongst the flowers. I also hope to use the outdoor space for Healing and Sophia services, but that will take a while. For now I am working on a little patch at a time hoping the elements will not destroy the work I've put in so far.


The Beginnings of White Lily wed with Red Rose


Marigolds and Allysum



In Serenity and Joy
Andrea

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.