Monday, August 27, 2007

One of My Altars

For the past two years I've been working with this particular altar. This altar is on the eastern wall of my living room. I've created it mostly feminine and my west wall, which I'll take pictures of at a later time, is mostly masculine. I like to have a balance of feminine and masculine around my home.

All of my spaces are works in progress. I'll always rearrange and tweak the various statues, icons and candles. I finally brought home my Meditating Mary from the Hagia Sophia Chapel yesterday. She was there a year sitting next to the Sophia. Now that I am claiming the living room from my male family, I thought it would be good to bring her home again. She seems happy to be back.

I realize that the icons and statues are made of material things. But it is what they represent is what is important to me. When I look at my Meditating Mary, I am reminded to have a mind of peace and serenity. Above my alter is a wall sconce I bought at Illuminations in Bellevue. This represents the tree of life, but it only has nine candles, not ten. However, this sconce reminds me of my spiritual journey that I am on. Towards the left I have two pictures with Asian characters, one says serenity and the other says happiness. This helps me to travel the road with right mind and attitude. And then to the right is a cross, which reminds me that I am a Gnostic Christian using all the tools available to me.

For me it's important to have things around my home that reminds me of my divine spark within. And I hope when I have friends over, they are reminded of the same thing, that they also have a divine spark within.

So I leave you with my photographs of my east wall.

In Serenity and Joy
Andrea







My Altar


Tree of Life


Meditating Mary

1 comment:

Marsha+ said...

I am happy to see your altars. I remember when you had all the room but none of it for 'your' sacred space. It is so nice to slaim a spot and make it your own.

It is so nice to see all the changes taking place around your home. When Erik and I first saw your house I had told him all my ideas for turning the whole place into 'sacred space'. The lay out is great and it would be easy to turn an entire room into a mediation room or sanctuary. Your yard is HUGE and has so much potential.
I love the hard wood floors and the fireplace.

M+