Thursday, September 13, 2007

Bread Salad

One of my favorite places for shopping is "Top of the Hill" in Renton. It's a market on 4th street with fresh produce, wonderful meats and poultry and a variety of pastas, breads and cheeses. If you're ever in Renton, check this place out. It's one of the best markets with good prices on the produce. The meats a little expensive, so I haven't bought any yet. But the quality looks fabulous. And the staff is very friendly and informative.

Last month there was a demonstration on "bread salad". I never thought of creating a salad out of bread, but I tried it and it was delicious. So I bought the ingredients for this recipe and served it the next day at a party. There was none left after the party, so I assumed people liked it. I experimented with the recipe a bit tonight, and here's what I came up with. So perhaps this can go into the "Gnostic Haggis Sophia" cookbook.

Bread Salad

Ingredients:
Bread (French Bread or an Artisan loaf is best)
Cherry tomatoes
Green Onion
Fresh Basil
Olive Oil
Balsamic or Red Wine Vinegar (optional)
Oregano
Thyme
Basil
Salt
Pepper

Cut up bread, tomatoes, fresh basil and green onion and combine them in a bowl.
In a separate bowl combine olive oil, balsamic, red wine vinegar, oregano, thyme basil salt and pepper and stir. Use your own judgement on how much you want added to the bread.

Pour the dressing over the bread salad, mix and serve. You can also let it marinate for about an hour before serving.

Tonight I combined both the balsamic and red wine vinegar together. I'll let you know how it turned out. I'm bringing this dish to a potluck tomorrow.

In Serenity and Joy
Andrea

No comments: