Saturday, September 15, 2007

Music Review: Brandi Carlile

I have a confession. As a child of the 1960's and 1970's I became fond of music that told a story. Jim Croce, Neil Diamond and John Denver were among my favorites. I also enjoyed Joni Mitchell and Carol King. All of these musicians had something in common, they were all storytellers. And you could understand the lyrics.

I may be a dinosaur where music is concerned, but I never really got into the heavy metal scene as a teenager and early adult. And I found the "alternative" music in the early 90's a little too cliche, although early Pearl Jam was good and I did like the Counting Crows along with Sheryl Crow. I guess I had a thing for crows back then in the 90's.

Today there is an artist that I really enjoy, Brandi Carlile. Her new CD, "The Story" is refreshing and the music is lovely. To me it's a mixture of folk, rock, ballad and country. She almost reminds me of a female Johnny Cash, another musician I am growing to appreciate. In her CD, Carlile is a storyteller. And I believe that's what has been missing in music lately, the ability to tell a story through song.

If you have any music you'd like to share, I'd like to hear your comments.

In Serenity and Joy
Andrea

No comments: